Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Favorite Author: Arturo Perez Reverte

As I look at some of the wonderful blogs about books published on "blogspot", I realize that I made a mess of mine because it is too hard to find anything specific. I am learning but pleases be patient with me.

I would like to make a few comments on this author:

"The Fencing Master" I found this on Claudia’s bookshelf, I read it and wanted more. Reverto is
a Spanish writer who, after the somewhat dark but exciting "Fencing Master," created a new character:
"Captain Alatriste" Set in 17th century Madrid , Alastriste is a kind of mercenary with a doubtful past that you are not sure you like very well at first . He has "lived" a lot and is somewhat cynical and cantankerous but when he gets into a mission (for money) he is a pretty interesting guy.
"Purity of Blood" The second in the series; Alatriste is off to save a damsel in distress. A wicked and powerful priest has taken a girl in a convent and is using her as his personal concubine. He has threatened to reveal that the girl’s father is a Jew and destroy the family name. Alastriste has his work cut out. Do not miss the poems at the end of the book!! "Lascivious Padre, salacious and promiscuous - Would it not serve you better to be religious? "......"Must you skewer every ewe among your flock? That sacred staff of yours, your treasure You must find raw, abraded beyond measure......"

It was after I read those that I got his earlier works, "The Queen of THe South".The Flanders Panel, "The Nautical Chart, and "Club Dumas". He has created some very strong and independent women characters as foils to his heroic male protaganists. I admire his versality.

No comments: