Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Moonstone By Wilkie Collins


First published 149 years ago this compelling novel has the all of the ingredients of a serious and fascinating mystery. I did not know anything about Wilkie Collins until Dan Simmons wrote a novel based on the Charles Dicken’s novel about Edward Drood. Simmons used Wilkie Collins, a friend and companion of Dickens as the narrator of his story (“Drood”). Apparently Dickens and Collins collaborated on a few novels but Wilkie Collins, in spite of a heavy opium habit (due to poor health) was an able and strong writer himself. He is said to have created the first literary mystery detective as a major character in a novel when the detective appeared in “The Moonstone” as Sergeant Cuff of Scotland Yard. He also was among the first to use the device of having each of the major characters in the story start and narrate each chapter by telling the story, only, from what they actually saw and did and know.
It worked very well for this mystery about a diamond that was stolen from a temple in India by one of Her Majesties Officers and brought back to Britain along with the curse that was supposed to be attached to it.

Collins created wonderful characters and the dialogue and descriptions are very interesting and exciting. Like Dickens, Wilkie Collins toured America and gave readings; his writing was influenced by Dickens, I am sure and I would guess that Dickens may have profited from his association with Collins. This was an amazing read and a first rate mystery from an important writer of the time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you haven’t heard yet, your blog was mentioned as A Book Blogger’s New Discovery.

Come check it out!

Leigh Russell said...

What an inspiring blog. I'd love it if you reviewed my own book, Cut Short, on your blog.

Alan said...

J. Kaye, A very pleasant surprise; thank you for mentioning my modest efforts. Love your photo!
Kindest,
alan

Alan said...

Leigh, I would be delighted. Amazon does not have "Cut Short" yet but it sounds like a winner. Good luck to you.
Alan

Leigh Russell said...

Hi Alan. Thank you very much. Cut Short launched in the UK last month but you're absolutely right, it's not available on amazon.com until 1st August. Drat. I hope you still remember it by then! I daresay I'll be back here as this is such a great blog, so I'll try to remember to give you a gentle reminder in August. In the meantime, I'd be delighted if you'd visit www.thecurzongroup.com where I'm posting every Thursday. I've just put one on called 'Endangered Species' and yes, it's all about books. And people... I'd love to hear from you there, from across the pond.

Alan said...

To Leigh Russell: been a long time, I know, but I finally got "Cut Short" on my Kindle. I have been "out of business for a while; happy for your success and the great reviews. I will follow you. I have changed ny e-mail: georgealan7@gmail.com
best wishes, alan