Sunday, December 02, 2007

The Archer King/ Reyna Thera Lorele


A pagan Robin Hood. An interesting retelling of this favorite adventure.
Robin of Loxley returns to England with close friend, Wlll Scarlok, tired and disenchanted with the years wasted in killing and plundering doing "Gods duty" in the holy lands. The whereabouts of King Richard are unknown and he finds his lands confiscated by the Holy Church and learns that his father was burned as a heretic.
John, Richard’s brother is exploiting the people aided by the church and the evil sheriff of Nottingham The beautiful Maerin is in a convent awaiting marriage to an obnoxious underling of the King. She will be sorely tested when she meets Robin after many years because she was raised in the church and he follows the Wiccan ways and the rituals of the Druids. They love one another but they have these obstacles to overcome
So it is off to the forest where Robin joins others who are hiding from John’s law. The names are a bit different but it is the same familiar group doing much the same thing but some of the scenes are more "R" rated than one might be used to in the older stories. Robin’s death is centered around a pagan blood ceremony; it was never witnessed by Maerin who, after Robin told her of a dream relating to his death, left him and returned to the convent.
I think that after growing up on Earl Flynn as Robin Hood this version was not really to my Liking.

3 comments:

moonrat said...

Alan,

I just wanted to say I am so, so glad to have you on thebookbook--so many quality reviews and wise comments. You contribute so much to our forum. Thank you, and hope you're enjoying it :)

Moonrat

April's Place said...

Hi Alan, I saw your comment on Book Book, please feel free to take a look at my site, if you are interested in the "genographic" project, or the book "Journey of Man". I have some archived information on this topic-genetic geneology, as well as a list of resources.

Alan said...

I appreciate the kind words;This had been a very interesting and fun experience visiting the many sites devoted to books. I hope it is OK if I revive a couple of really old ones that mean a lot to me.